Bassist Stanley Clarke

Trio!
Stanley Clarke, Bass
Béla Fleck, Banjo
Jean-Luc Ponty, Violin
...at Chicago Symphony Center

A week ago, I told my friend that it was not easy for me to appreciate the bass itself because the tone tends to be very low and never predominant. But today, I need to change what I said. Most of all I haven't seen a more wonderful picture of a man with a bass than tonight. The big instrument always seemed to suspend the player in an awkward position. But Mr. Clarke dominates the instrument and plays with it. The gigantic instrument sometimes becomes a drum with trembling strings or sometimes becomes a guitar which seems to be passed onto a Spanish flamenco music player. All the time he looks much more passionate than any flamenco dancer. I am deeply impressed that one can explode such dynamic sound and rhythm from the bass.

Mr. Ponty also presents violin sound which I never heard before. It seems that he doesn't care making beatiful melody and he likes to go beyond the tone within which any one may like to stay. Who cares occasional weird peaks when a magnificent violinst doesn't mind. It is powerful.

Only one who is not afraid of failing can go beyond. I was thinking whether I could play jazz when I would be comfortable with my flute. Perhaps...

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
congratulations on opening your own blog. Hope that you enjoy writing your feelings and views of the world around you on your own free zone and sharing them with the neighbors. Good luck with your wonder/wander world.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

The Sociology of Education in Canada

Red panda