March of the Penguins

Luc Jacquet, France (2005)

They "walk" just like I do and "slip" on the snow just like I do. Amazingly precise their instincts call themselves to the place where they were born four years ago and they all march together to get there. Finally when they find their mate, they stand side by side peacefully. Once they have an egg, mother leaves to eat and father keeps the egg against severe weather for four months without any food. The severity bonds them to make a habitat with their own bodies in the open air. When mother comes back, she sees her baby and takes a turn to keep it warm under her body while father leaves for food. Finally, summer comes. All march back to the ocean and even the little chicks now should be independent. They no longer have their parents who have protected so hard. And their history continues.

I think of a documentary film about insects' life that I saw about a decade ago. I haven't seen insects with such intimacy before. Although I don't remember their life in detail any longer, beautiful vibrant colors full of screen still remain in me. I believe it was also made by Frenches, who even invented a special lens to show the tiny creatures. Do they have special eyes looking through lens?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sociology of Education in Canada

A History of Violence

Bassist Stanley Clarke